The Royal BC Museum comes alive with family-themed activities in and out of the galleries. Listen to live music, create art, try your hand at our penny carnival and learn more about the diverse communities of families in BC. Join us for two days of activities to celebrate Canada’s 150th anniversary.
Schedule of events
Listen to live music from local family bands, in honour of our Family: Bonds and Belonging exhibition. The performances take place on the porch of Helmcken House.
- 12:00 pm – The Karpes Family Band, playing old-timey country folk songs.
- 1:00 pm – Living Room, a groove oriented father/son duo made up of Eric and Angus Morten.
St. Ann's Schoolhouse, one of the oldest schoolhouses in BC, will be the classroom for these seriously fun, engaging and contemporary 'lessons', for visitors of all ages and all experiences. Feel free to drop in and learn a thing or two.
- 11:30 am – Cedar weaving Workshop with Hannah Morales. Learn about the importance of cedar to Coast Salish people, the process of harvesting cedar, and make your own cedar rose to take home with you.
- 12:30 pm – A Hip-Hop Circle with Harold Hejazi. Participants will experience an authentic hip-hop ritual as they partake in a poetic circle of flowing energy and transformation. Participants will gain a historical understanding of how the cipher was and continues to be vital to the birth and longevity of the hip-hop community.
- 1:30 pm – Blackout and Found Poetry Workshop with Sophie Crocker. Learn basic principles of free-verse poetry, then re-purpose text from the RBCM’s 100 Objects of Interest archive to make your own poems.
The Victoria Story Tellers Guild brings Helmcken House to life through real and imagined stories. Discover the power of stories to transform our understanding of place and belonging.
- 2:00 pm with Jennifer Ferris, Lee Porteous and Moria Walker
Art making on the theme of families, with local artist Nathan Nazo Davis.
- 11:30 am – 2:30 pm | Elliot Square
Learn about the diverse families in British Columbia and more about your family history. Then join us for some shadow play to end our Wonder Weekend celebrations.
- 2:45 – 3:00 pm | Royal BC Museum, 2nd Floor
Family: Bonds and Belonging exhibition
For more ways to celebrate Canada’s 150 visit Spirit of 150.