Order Form

Reproduction and Permissions for Still Images, Cartographic Records, Sound Recordings and Moving Images

Did you know that the museum and archives are not fully funded? All licensing and permissions fees go toward the costs of caring for and conserving the collections.

Thank you for your support of the BC Archives.

We thank you for your interest in the Royal BC Museum and BC Archives collections. If you wish to obtain a reproduction and/or permission to use material from the still images, cartographic records and/or sound recordings and moving images collections, please complete and submit this form. Once it is received, a staff member will contact you and provide you with the final quote and payment option

As the COVID-19 situation evolves, the archives is committed to understanding the facts and ensuring we respond appropriately.

The Royal BC Museum started a phased opening to the public on June 19, 2020.  The BC Archives have continued to offer services throughout the pandemic. As we undertake our gradual re-opening of the museum we have given much time to consider how we might open the reference room in a safe way. The archives reference room is a high touch area and we are looking at how to do this safely. While we work to bring staff back on site and adjust to the ‘new normal’ and understand the impacts of health and safety interventions, we ask for your patience. We want to be absolutely certain that staff and visitor exposure to potential health risks is kept to an absolute minimum.

It is our plan to continue to offer such services, and we are looking at other ways to offer expanded services that do not put anyone at risk.

In the meantime, we will do our best to respond to your needs.  We are happy to correspond with you on your specific needs.

For more information on our health and safety protocols visit https://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/we-woolly-missed-you

Please note that due to the high volume of requests orders are taking longer than normal to process. Unfortunately, we are not able to process any rush requests at this time.


* Mandatory Field

Are you an Indigenous person?
Are you conducting research on behalf of an Indigenous person, community, government or cultural organization? If yes, please check this box and submit a letter on official letterhead or provide an email with your organization’s signature block. In these cases, the digital copies obtained from the Royal BC Museum and Archives are being provided to you specifically on behalf of the organization for which you are conducting research.


Indicate the reproduction format required below*

*Additional fees may apply due to digitization of original map(s) and photo(s)

*Please note that the above reproduction costs do not include permission for use or applicable taxes. 


Provide a detailed description of the material requested, including title and item/call/archives code/catalogue number for each item (Photo e.g., "Jean Caux, or Cataline, Item/Call # A-02039, Archives Code/Catalogue # HP005141; audio e.g., Item #AAAB___; film e.g., Item # AAAA____). Need more information? Visit the BC Archives to search collections.


Please contact the Permissions and Licensing Office:

Phone: 250-356-0138 or
Toll Free: 1-866-356-0138
Fax: 250-387-2072
Email: access@royalbcmuseum.bc.ca

*The personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the Financial Administration Act (RSBC 1996, c. 138) and will be used for billing purposes. If you have any questions about your privacy, please contact the Information and Privacy Officer at 250-356-0698.

#27180-20 / #MSBD311


*Please note that the "Reproduction Request Type" section must be completed for the permissions form to appear below

We thank you for your interest in the Royal BC Museum and BC Archives collections. If you wish to obtain permission to use our archival material, please complete and submit either the permissions form for the use of still images, records and documents or the permissions form for the use of sound recordings and moving image material. The two forms are below.

Once your form is received, a staff member will review it and inform you of the status of your permissions request. Depending on the type of use, a fee may apply in addition to the cost of the reproduction(s).

PERMISSIONS FORM: Still Images, Records and Documents

Film, Video, TV, Documentary (choose type below)

Program Details

Publication Details

Placement of Images

I understand that by clicking agree I will be legally bound by this agreement's Terms and Conditions.

PERMISSIONS FORM: Sound Recordings and Moving Image Material​

Film, Video, TV, Documentary (choose type below)

Program Details

I understand that by clicking agree I will be legally bound by this agreement's Terms and Conditions

You are here