The Ties that Bind Canada / Des liens qui unissent notre pays

Atlas mining camp
Camp minier Altas

Ephrim J. Hamacher (or “E.J.”, as he was commonly called) moved north with the Klondike Gold Rush, and in 1898 set up a photography studio in Bennett City, British Columbia. In April 1900, Hamacher moved to Whitehorse, Yukon, and operated a general merchandise and photographic store selling his own prints, as well as photography equipment and supplies. Hamacher became known as “The Whitehorse Photographer”. He took photographs of many events and activities, particularly in southern Yukon, including this typical view of an early 20th-century mining camp. This image is likely of the Grafter Mine in the Whitehorse Copperbelt. Grafter Mine shafts were sunk in 1901 and 1902. After a brief hiatus, work was resumed in 1907 by Robert Lowe, and 2,000 tons (2,032 tonnes) of ore were mined and shipped. In 1912, the Atlas Mining Company held an option, and deepened the shaft to 150 feet (46 metres). The Lowe Estate shows that 11,540 tons (11,725 tonnes) of ore averaging 6% copper were shipped from 1915 to 1917. This image depicts railway tracks, carts, logs, log buildings and the vertical mine shafts. This, and similar photographs in the same collection, capture the nature of early mining rail infrastructure in the north.

Ephrim J. Hamacher (ou E.J. comme on l’appelait couramment) s’est rendu dans le nord lors de la ruée vers l’or du Klondike et en 1988, il a établi un studio de photographie à Bennett City, en Colombie-Britannique. En avril 1990, Hamacher a déménagé à Whitehorse, au Yukon, où il a exploité un magasin général et un studio de photos dans lequel il vendait ses propres photos ainsi que de l’équipement et des fournitures de photographie. Hamacher fut connu sous le nom du « photographe de Whitehorse ». Il prenait des photos de plusieurs événements et activités, particulièrement dans le sud du Yukon, y compris cette vue typique d’un camp minier du début du vingtième siècle. Cette photo est probablement celle de la mine Grafter dans la ceinture de cuivre de Whitehorse. Les puits de la mine Grafter ont été creusés en 1901 et 1902. Après un arrêt temporaire, le travail a repris en 1907 sous Robert Lowe et 2000 tonnes de minerai ont été extraites et expédiées. En 1912, l’Atlas Mining Company détenait une option et elle a approfondi le puits à 150 pieds. La succession Lowe montre que 11 540 tonnes de minerai contenant en moyenne 6 % de cuivre ont été expédiées de 1915 à 1917. Cette photo dépeint les voies de chemin de fer, les chariots, les rondins, les structures en bois rond et les puits de mine verticaux. Cette photo et des photos semblables de la même collection saisissent la nature des premières infrastructures ferroviaires de l’exploitation minière dans le nord.