The Ties that Bind Canada / Des liens qui unissent notre pays

TTC subway at Davisville station
Métro TTC à la station Davisville

This photograph depicts the Davisville station of the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) subway system, which was celebrated as “Canada’s First Subway” when it opened in 1954. Discussions about building a subway in Toronto began in the early 20th century, but it was not until 1949 that construction began on the Yonge Street line, with additional lines started in the late 1950s. The subway system was one of the major reasons that people throughout the world lauded Toronto transit in the post-war years.

Davisville station is located next to Davisville Subway Yard—the first maintenance and storage yard for TTC trains—and TTC headquarters in the William McBrien Building at 1900 Yonge Street (shown to the right of the train in this photo).

The subway train pictured was part of the initial fleet produced by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. While not evident from this black and white photo, these trains were called “red rockets” for their bright red exterior. Retired in 1990, their name lives on in the TTC advertising slogan, “Ride the Rocket.” 

This photograph is part of series RG 74-9, comprising correspondence records related to citizenship education programs provided by the Ontario government to new Canadians living in Ontario.

Cette photo est celle de la station Davisville du métro de Toronto, honoré à titre de « premier métro du Canada », à sa mise en service en 1954. Les discussions au sujet de la construction d’un métro à Toronto ont commencé au début du vingtième siècle, mais les travaux n’ont commencé qu’en 1949 pour la ligne de la rue Yonge et, pour d’autres lignes, à la fin des années 1950. Le métro de Toronto est l’une des principales raisons pour lesquelles les gens du monde entier chantaient les louanges de ses transports en commun dans les années d’après-guerre.

La station Davisville est à proximité de l’atelier d’entretien de Davisville ‒ le premier atelier d’entretien et entrepôt des rames de métro de la Commission de transport de Toronto ‒ et de son siège social de l’édifice William McBrien, au 1900, rue Yonge (à droite de la rame, dans cette photo).

La rame de métro de cette photo faisait partie de la première flotte, construite par l’entreprise Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. Bien que cette photo en noir et blanc ne le révèle pas, leur couleur rouge vif a valu à ces rames le nom de fusées rouges. Retirées de la circulation en 1990, leur nom survit dans le slogan publicitaire de la CCT, « Ride the Rocket ». 

Cette photographie fait partie de la série RG 74-9, des dossiers de correspondance liés aux programmes de formation à la citoyenneté du gouvernement de l’Ontario, destinés aux nouveaux Canadiens de l’Ontario.