The Ties that Bind Canada / Des liens qui unissent notre pays

“Countess of Dufferin” locomotive
Locomotive Countess of Dufferin

“Countess of Dufferin”, CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway) No. 1, was built in 1872 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works, Philadelphia. It arrived in St. Boniface on October 9, 1877, by barge, and was the first locomotive to operate in the Canadian west. From the Hudson’s Bay House Library photograph collection subject files.

« Countess of Dufferin, CP Rail, N° 1, construite en 1872 par la société Baldwin Locomotive Works de Philadelphie (Pennsylvanie). Arrivée à Saint-Boniface par barge le 9 octobre 1877, elle a été la première locomotive utilisée dans l’Ouest canadien. » Archives de la Compagnie de la Baie d'Hudson 1897/363-R-3/8