Tradition in Felicities: Celebrating the History of Canada’s Oldest Chinatown
To celebrate the early days Chinese Canadian history, the Royal BC Museum presented the 2013 exhibition Tradition in Felicities: Celebrating 155 Years of Victoria’s Chinatown, with Victoria’s Chinatown community. It showcased the history and heritage of Victoria’s Chinatown as a gateway between Asia and North America, and as an important site for Chinese Canadian community development. In 2014 the Royal BC Museum received the prestigious Keck Award from the International Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works for its live conservation project. Visitors to this exhibition also provided a great deal of valuable feedback.
Gold Rush! El Dorado in British Columbia
The Royal BC Museum, May–October 2015
Canadian Museum of History, Ottawa, ON, April–December 2016
Guangzhou to British Columbia: The Chinese Canadian Experience 1858–1958
Guangzhou Metro Yuexiu Station, October 28–November 28, 2015 (find out more here)
Gold Mountain Dream! Bravely Venture into the Fraser Valley
- Guangdong Museum of Chinese Nationals Residing Abroad, Guangzhou, China, November 5–December 20, 2015. (find out more here)
- Chinese Cultural Centre of Greater Vancouver, Vancouver, Canada, March 12–April 11, 2016
- Jiangmen Museum, Jiangmen, China January 21–March 20, 2016
- Museum of Xinhui District, Jiangmen, China, April 1–May 15, 2016
- Musuem of Taishan District, Jiangmen, China, May 16–June 30, 2016
- Kaiping Museum, Kaiping, China, July 1–August 15, 2016
- Enping Museum, Enping, China, August 16–September 30, 2016
- Heshan Museum, Heshan, China, October 1–November 15, 2016
- Wuyi University, Jiangmen, China, November 16–December 30, 2016
- Chilliwack Museum, Canada, June 19–October 13, 2017
- Vernon Museum and Archives, Canada, October 16, 2017–February 28, 2018.
- The Kelowna Museums, Canada, September 10, 2018 –January 28 2019 .
- Rossland Museum, Canada, February 1, 2019 – March 18. (Tentative)
- The Musée Héritage Museum, St Albert, Canada, March 25– June 3, 2019.
- Courtenay & District Museum, Canada, June 7, 2019 – September 4 2019.
In addition, to help the public learn more about the Chinese Historical Wrongs Legacy Initiatives, the Royal BC Museum partnered with the Ministry of International Trade to reveal the Legacy Initiatives’ behind-the-scenes stories in a special issue of the Royal BC Museum’s online magazine Curious, available in English, simplified Chinese and traditional Chinese.