The MacNeills, Sterns and his wife, Maude, were United Empire Loyalists, originally from the Maritimes. They settled on a quarter of land by Wright Creek in the Salmon River area around 1922. Maude MacNeill taught at the Hartley School during the years 1916-1918. This was about a mile away from where they eventually homesteaded and where they built this log house. Besides having a small farm, they also had the first post office for the area in this house. The Salmon River Post Office opened in 1923. Sterns MacNeill was postmaster for twenty-seven years. They also had a Government Library in their house.
The MacNeills farmed their land and sometimes hired boys to help them. Sterns MacNeill was President of the Farmer’s Institute in 1922, 1936, and 1937, it having been formed in 1921. In 1923, he was Vice President and in 1924, he held the position of treasurer. When they held church in the Salmon River School, Mrs. Sterns played the portable organ, which the Anglican minister had brought.
When the Salmon Valley Post Office closed down in 1950, the MacNeills retired and moved to Armstrong, B.C. where she passed away in 1962 at the age of seventy. He passed away in 1964 at the age of eighty-four.
In 1983, the owners of that piece of land decided that they would tear down the old post office and burn it, unless the newly formed Giscome Portage Historical Society wanted it. In such case it was to be removed within a month. The Society realized it’s historical value and called together a dismantling committee. The building was taken down, log by log, and each one was tagged with a number. The logs were then put in storage. In the spring of 2001, it was finally reassembled, with a few new logs replacing old, rotten ones, and it is now, in the Giscome Portage Regional Park. It will, once again, serve as a post office for tourists, visiting the Huble Homestead in the park.