Digitization is a time-consuming and complex process that requires much consideration. To ensure our digitization program is efficient, effective and responsible, we identify priority records and assess them before we even begin the digitization process.
Records are selected for digitization based on the priorities of the Royal BC Museum and Archives.
Our priorities for digitization include
- Records of significant historic value
- At-risk magnetic media, such as video and audio formats
- Records that support our Response to the TRC’s Calls to Action, such as Indigenous language and cultural recordings
- Frequently used records
- Fragile or deteriorating records
- Items required for exhibitions or programing
We may consider digitizing records at the request of clients, if the request aligns with the above-mentioned priorities.