At the beginning of the 1940s, Saint Catherine Street was the most important commercial street in Montreal. Traffic jams were numerous, particularly during snowstorms. It was common to call upon a tow truck to remove the cars that were blocking streetcars. At the time, the majority of Montrealers were travelling from one end of the city to the other using electric streetcars commonly called “little cars”.
Appearing on September 22, 1892, this public transport system coincided with the industrialization era and the development of the Metropolis. It was common to see advertising signs on their front. All means were used to keep the economy going. The electric streetcars gave way to buses for good in 1959.