The Ties that Bind Canada / Des liens qui unissent notre pays

Prince Edward Island Railway tank engine
Locomotive-tender ayant appartenu au Chemin de fer de l’Île-du-Prince-Édouard

In April 1871, the Railway bill was officially passed in Prince Edward Island, and construction on the new track began that October. The Island’s railway was to conform to traditional British standards, using a narrow-gauge track that measured 3 feet, 6 inches (1.07 metres). This was one of the earliest tank engines on the Island, made by the Hunclet Engine Company of Leeds, England, and shipped to PEI as one of six tank engines arriving between September 1872 and June 1873. The Prince Edward Island Railway (PEIR) officially opened in 1875.

Le projet de loi sur les chemins de fer (Railway Bill) a été adopté en avril 1871 à l’Île-du-Prince-Édouard. La construction du nouveau chemin de fer a débuté en octobre de la même année. Le chemin de fer de l’Île était conforme aux normes britanniques traditionnelles, c’est-à-dire que l’écartement des voies étroites était de trois pieds et six pouces (1,07 m). Cette locomotive-tender, l’une des premières locomotives à vapeur à être débarquées à l’Île, a été fabriquée par la Hunclet Engine Company de Leeds, en Angleterre. Six de ces locomotives-tender sont arrivées à l’Île entre septembre 1872 et juin 1873. Le Chemin de fer de l’Île-du-Prince-Édouard a été inauguré en 1875.